History Timeline

The NORMAL SCHOOL was a provincially run school offering the “norms of teaching” in which new teachers were trained. The MODEL SCHOOL was a fully functioning elementary school where the new teachers practice taught.

1901

1901 The first NORMAL SCHOOL was established on the current site of Vancouver Vocational Institute.

Read more

1902

1902 The NORMAL SCHOOL moved to Lord Roberts School.

Read more

1903

1903 The City Crest, redesigned by James Bloomfield, was incorporated in School window design.

Read more

1905

1905 The NORMAL SCHOOL moved to King Edward School at 12th & Oak.

Read more

1907

1907 The MODEL SCHOOL was completed, and the NORMAL SCHOOL moved into the same building at Cambie & 12th.

Read more

1909

1909 Construction of the NORMAL SCHOOL building was completed adjacent to the MODEL SCHOOL. There were now two separate schools on the site. The women were marching (suffragettes), the men…

Read more

May 1, 1921

May 1, 1921 Prohibition ended in Canada.

Read more

January 1, 1922

January 1, 1922 Vancouver switched to the right side of the road, and all the while, more and more teachers and students graduated from the NORMAL AND MODEL SCHOOLS. The…

Read more

January 1, 1929

January 1, 1929 South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with Vancouver to increase the population to 240,000. The dirty 30s saw an influx of people from across the country, and…

Read more

July 22, 1931

July 22, 1931 The Vancouver Airport was opened

Read more

July 2, 1936

July 2, 1936 The new City Hall across the street from the NORMAL and MODEL SCHOOLS was dedicated with the laying of the cornerstone.

Read more

1956

1956 The responsibility for the provincial teacher training was transferred to UBC, and the NORMAL SCHOOL became provincial government offices. The MODEL SCHOOL continued as a fully functioning elementary school…

Read more

1957

1957 Elvis was emerging as King of Rock & Roll, Marilyn Monroe as a movie sex goddess and the Soviets were planning space trips. The NORMAL SCHOOL contained government offices,…

Read more

1963

1963 The MODEL SCHOOL closed

Read more

1964 to 1970

1964 to 1970 The MODEL SCHOOL reopened as an annex of King Edward Continuing Education Centre to upgrade students to a Grade 12 level.

Read more

1970 to 1976

1970 to 1976 The MODEL SCHOOL was used as the Community School of Music. Its roof leaked even in the lightest rain.

Read more

1976

1976 The MODEL SCHOOL was closed and boarded up and became a storage and workshop area for the school board. Three times it was threatened with demolition.

Read more

1979

1979 The Heritage Advisory Committee recommended it receive Heritage Designation.

Read more

1980

1980 The School Board applied again for demolition but planning was underway to have it designed a Heritage Site. The application to demolish was withdrawn. The Heritage Department convinced the…

Read more

October to December of 1981

October to December of 1981 A new roof was installed.

Read more

May 20, 1985

May 20, 1985 A fire of undetermined cause destroyed the roof including the centre cupola and third floor auditorium.

Read more

May 29, 1985

May 29, 1985 The School Board applied for the third demolition permit.

Read more

November 8, 1985

November 8, 1985 The MODEL SCHOOL was saved from demolition largely due to the persistence of Ald. May Brown. Later, a temporary roof was built by the School Board.

Read more

July 8, 1986

July 8, 1986 Both buildings were designated Municipal Heritage Sites.

Read more

August 16, 1989

August 16, 1989 the Model & Normal Schools opened their doors to the public once again. This time, incorporated into The City Square Projects. The Historic School building have been…

Read more

September 23, 2005

September 23, 2005 Dignitaries and members of business and community unveiled the final installation of three historic stained glass windows to their original place of honour in what was the…

Read more